The use of function keys (Fn keys) makes completing numerous activities more simple and more effective. However, they might run into issues that can be fixed manually.
There are several .dll files included in the Windows operating system that can be easily altered by installing third-party programs.
Your PC’s drivers could be out-of-date or incompatible if you recently installed one.
Even if you know little about how a PC works internally, you can fix all these problems. But firstly, make sure to restart your PC and check if that worked.
Apply the solutions in the following guidance below
Make sure the Fn Key is not locked
- Typically, pressing the “Fn Lock” key inadvertently causes the Function keys to stop functioning.
- Open Keyboardtester.io and check your keyboard for an Fn, Fn lock, or F Mode key. It is typically found beneath the Esc or Shift keys.
- Depending on the brand of your laptop, you should either push it once or hold it down for a short time. Hit the Fn and Esc keys simultaneously if that doesn’t work.
- Or try to use your Fn keys to issue a command.
Utilize F11 or F12 keys
By hitting the F11 or F12 key, several users claimed they were able to make their function keys functional.
Trying the same solution again has no negative effects. Try it and see if it works to address the problem.
Updating keyboard drivers
- Select Device Management by pressing Windows + X.
- Expand the list after finding the Keyboards option.
- Update the driver by performing a right-click on the appropriate keyboard choice.
- Choose Automatically check for driver updates. Restarting your computer after Windows has finished installing the most recent drivers is recommended.
Turn off Filter Keys
- The Windows function key combination is replaced if the filter keys are turned ON.
- To open Run, press the Windows key along with the R key.
- Now, enter “control” there, then click OK.
- Then select Ease of Access.
- Select Ease of Access from the menu.
- Click on Center settings for ease of access now.
- Select “Make the keyboard easier to use” from the menu.
- Choose “Filter Keys” from the menu.
- Verify that “Turn on Filter Keys” is not selected. Apply the adjustments next.
Examine and tidy up the keyboard
The function keys may not be operating mostly due to the dust and dirt that has gathered under the keys.
A tool that comes with a mechanical keyboard makes it simple to remove the function keys and clean them.
By removing the keys from the margins of some keyboards, it is also simple to clean them.
Activate the Keyboard Troubleshooter
- To launch the Settings window, press Win + I
- Open “Update and Security” by searching for it
- From the left panel, choose “Troubleshoot” and then “Additional Troubleshooters”
- Choose “Keyboard” from the menu.
- To see if the keys are working and to fix any issues, run the troubleshooter.
Utilize the BIOS settings to enable Function Key
- The functionality of the function keys may be impacted by a BIOS update or configuration issue.
- Restart your computer, then quickly press the ESC key when the screen appears.
- Choose BIOS configuration from the menu.
- Click the Advanced option in the top bar.
- Locate and select the Function key behavior option. Decide on the Function key as your first option.
- Restart your computer after saving the changes. Verify that the function keys are now functioning properly.
Frequently Ask Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why my Fn keys are not working?
Ans: A function lock, also known as an F-Lock key, may need to be toggled if the function keys aren’t working.
Q2. How do I enable the F1 to F12 keys?
Ans: You can select whether your Function Keys behave like regular F1-F12 keys or special keys by tapping the “Fn” key on the majority of laptop and some desktop keyboards.
Q3. How do I unlock my Fn key?
Ans: Pressing the FN key and the Caps Lock key simultaneously on the All in One Media Keyboard will enable FN Lock. Press the FN key and the Caps Lock key simultaneously once more to turn off FN Lock.
Q4. How do I activate the Fn keys?
Ans: Activating the Fn keys is easy. Simply hold the Fn key and shift key simultaneously and your work is done.
Pressing the fn key or any function key simultaneously initiates the preset action while the fn key light is on.
Q5. What is F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12?
Ans: The F1 through F12 keys on the laptop or computer are known as the “function keys” or “F-keys,”.
Each of these keys serves a purpose that is preset by the default operating system or a running program. They can be used in combination with the Alt Key or Ctrl keys,
If your function keys need fixing, use the solutions listed above. Function key issues should be resolved using the aforementioned fixes.
Try clean window installation if none of the other options work, or seek professional assistance.
Which, while erasing data from the hard disk, might resolve the problem Best to make a backup of your crucial files before you start.