© ROOT-NATION.com - Use of content is permitted with a backlink.
Ferrari has already sold all of the Luce models it planned to produce in 2026. The automaker’s first electric vehicle reached its projected annual sales volume – just under 500 units – in practically two months. According to the Financial Times, demand was not affected by harsh criticism of the design or the starting price of €550,000 (about $640,000), which makes the electric car one of the most expensive in Ferrari’s lineup.
Read also: AERONAUT – everything that flies above the ground: aviation, UAVs and drones, rockets, and space
The Luce debuted in Rome on May 25, and the initial reaction was so negative that Ferrari’s stock fell by 6%, and the car’s design was subjected to scathing criticism online. Former Ferrari CEO Luca di Montezemolo even told local media that the company should have “at least removed the rearing stallion.” But, as it turned out, this didn’t matter at all to buyers. Ferrari had already sold out its entire 2026 order book before customers had even received a single car, as deliveries won’t begin until October.

The company declined to comment on sales figures and said it would provide more details on the market’s reaction to the Luce during its first-half financial results announcement. A senior Ferrari executive told the Financial Times that the car’s unusual design is dictated by aerodynamic requirements and that it needs to be “contemplated” before it can be fully understood.
Read also: Car Reviews
Most of the demand is coming from China, and this is precisely the market where, as we previously reported, the Luce sold out instantly. Back in May, CEO Benedetto Vigna stated that the car was “actively gathering orders” from both long-time customers and new buyers, and that the order backlog already extends nearly to the end of 2027.

Read also: First Impressions of Toyota bZ4X: Brief Test Drive on Road
The Luce, with a starting price of €550,000, is a four-door, five-seat car created by former Apple designers Jony Ive and Marc Newson. It is not a supercar but a family-friendly Ferrari, and this fact alone has drawn criticism from fans of the brand’s traditional models. Although, in terms of its specifications, it certainly measures up to the level of a supercar.
Behind the controversial design lies a serious electric vehicle. When Ferrari unveiled the specifications of the model – then still called the Elettrica – last October, the company announced a powertrain delivering over 1,000 k.s. with four independent electric motors, a 122 kW•h in an 880-volt architecture, support for 350-kW charging, a range of over 530 km, and acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 2.5 seconds.
Read also: From Netherlands to Spain: Demanding Real-World Test of BMW iX2 eDrive20

The low production volume is a deliberate decision. Fewer than 500 cars by the end of 2026 may seem like a meager figure compared to mass production of electric vehicles, but this business model aligns with Ferrari’s strategy. Last year, the company nearly halved its sales forecast for electric vehicles through 2030. Ferrari does not sell in large volumes because it focuses on exclusivity, and this year’s allocation of exclusivity has already sold out.
Read also: BMW is working on the i4 Convertible: It could debut in 2028




